Adult Migrant English Program
The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) provides up to 510 hours of English language tuition to eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants to help them learn foundation English language and settlement skills to enable them to participate socially and economically in Australian society.
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible for the AMEP if you are a permanent resident of Australia or you hold an eligible temporary visa.
In addition, you must meet the following time frames from the date of your visa commencement or arrival in Australia to remain eligible:
- register with an AMEP service provider within six months (or 12 months if you are under 18 years of age when you arrived in Australia)
- commence your tuition within 12 months
- complete your tuition within five years.
You might be able to access the AMEP after these time frames if you apply for an extension.
To find out if you are eligible or to register for the program you should contact your nearest AMEP service provider.
Where can I learn English?
The Adult Migrant English Program is delivered at around 307 locations across Australia in major cities as well as rural and regional areas.
Find details of your closest program service provider by state and territory on the AMEP service provider’s page.
- Bridging F (Class WF) Business Skills (Provisional) (Class UR)
- Business Skills (Provisional) (Class EB)
- Interdependency (Provisional) (Class UG)
- Partner (Provisional) (Class UF)
- Partner (Temporary) (Class UK)
- Resolution of Status (Temporary) (Class UH)
- Temporary (Humanitarian Concern) (Class UO)
- Temporary Protection (Class XD)
- Safe Haven Enterprise (Class XE) Skilled
- Designated Area-sponsored (Provisional) (Class UZ)
- Skilled Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX)
- Skilled – Regional Sponsored (subclass 475)
- Skilled – Regional Sponsored (subclass 487)
- Skilled – Regional Sponsored (subclass 489)