Welcome to Easy Migration Services

Talk to an expert 

+61 03 8657 3761

Online Enquiry

Check if visa cancellation or refusal affects you

You might not be eligible to apply for some Australian visas in Australia if your previous visa application was refused or your visa was cancelled.

Depending on your situation, you might be eligible to apply for some visas. You must still meet all visa eligibility criteria to be granted one of those visas.

No substantive visa and have had a refused or cancelled visa

There are a limited number of visas you can apply for if you don’t hold a substantive visa and:

  • you were refused a visa, other than a Bridging visa or refused on character grounds, on or after 1 September 1994 and since last entering Australia
  • you were refused an entry permit and became an illegal entrant before 1 September 1994 and have not subsequently left Australia
  • you have a visa that was cancelled on or after 1 September 1994

The visas you can apply for are:

  • Child (residence)
  • Partner (temporary) and Partner (temporary) if, since last entering Australia, you have not been refused a Partner (residence) visa
  • Partner (residence)
  • Protection (learn more about Protection visa refusal below)
  • Medical treatment (visitor), provided you are 50 or older and were refused a residence visa on health grounds, or you are the family member of someone who was
  • Territorial asylum (residence)
  • Border (temporary). Generally, only non-citizens in immigration clearance can apply for this visa – that is, before they leave the airport or seaport when they arrive in Australia
  • Special category (temporary), New Zealand citizens only
  • Bridging A
  • Bridging B
  • Bridging C
  • Bridging D
  • Bridging E

Refused or cancelled visa due to concerns about your character

Your visa options are more limited if you had a visa refused or cancelled on character grounds since you last arrived in Australia. The only visa you can apply for is a Protection visa.

Criminal Justice Entry visas

If you have a Criminal Justice Entry visa, or you stayed in Australia after we cancelled your Criminal Justice Entry visa, the only visa you can apply for is a Protection visa.

Refused a protection visa

You can’t apply for a Protection visa again if, since you last entered Australia, you were refused a Protection visa.

You can only make an application for another Protection visa if the Minister decides it is in the public interest to let you submit a further application.

Read more

See Form 1026i Limitations on applications in Australia (129KB PDF)

Translate »
Click to Call Us!